Sunday, April 18, 2010
Lemon & Broccoli Risotto
1.625L (6 1/2 cups) vegetable stock
450g broccoli, cut into small florets, stems cut crossways into thin slices (keep the florets & the stems separate)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
20g (1 tbs) butter
8 green shallots, trimmed, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
440g (2 cups) arborio rice
60ml (1/4 cup) dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
2 tsp butter, extra
35g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan
1) Use a zester or grater to remove outer layer from lemon. Set aside until required.
2) Juice the lemon and reserve 2 tbs.
3) Place stock in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat.
4) Reduce heat to medium-low.
5) Stir in broccoli stems, season with salt and pepper, keep at a gentle simmer.
6) Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
7) Add the green shallots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
8) Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
9) Add the rice and stir over medium heat for 1 minute or until well coated with oil and butter, and the grains are slightly glassy in appearance.
10) Add wine and use a wooden spoon to stir until all liquid is absorbed.
11) Add a ladleful of simmering stock and stir until absorbed.
12) Continue to add stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly until all the liquid is absorbed before adding more.
13) Add broccoli florets with second-last ladleful of stock. Stir until all liquid is absorbed and the broccoli is tender - it will take about 30 minutes to cook until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite and the risotto is creamy.
14) Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, extra butter and parmesan.
15) Season with salt and pepper.
16) Spoon into serving bowls and serve immediately sprinkled extra parmesan if desired.
17) Eat & Enjoy!