Sunday, December 13, 2009
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g whole almonds (skin on)
1) Preheat oven to 170°C.
2) Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
3) Place sugar, eggs and grated lemon rind in a large bowl. Beat with electric beaters until pale and thick.
4) Fold in sifted flour, baking powder and almonds, then use your hands to lightly knead dough on a floured work surface until the dough is smooth.
5) Divide the mixture in half. Form 2 long logs about 25cm long x 5cm wide and place on prepared baking tray, leaving space between logs.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dough is firm to the touch and slightly golden.
7) Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely (about an hour).
8) Preheat the oven to 140°C.
9) Once dough is cool, use a small serrated knife to cut each log on the diagonal in 0.5cm slices.
10) Lay slices flat on the baking tray and return to oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until completely dried out.
11) Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
12) Store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.
13) Eat & Enjoy!