450g packet frozen spinach, thawed (or equivalent fresh spinach, blanched)
1 large sheet ready rolled short-crust pastry, thawed (for lower calorie alternative use filo pastry and line a quiche dish instead of self edging as described below)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
15g haloumi cheese, grated
120g feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon oregano sprigs
60 ml (1/4 cup) cream
lemon wedges to serve
1) Pre-heat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
2) Squeeze excess liquid from the spinach
3) Place the pastry on a baking tray (or in the quiche dish) and spread the spinach in the middle leaving a 3cm border around the edge (border not necessary if using quiche dish)
4) Sprinkle the garlic over the spinach and pile the haloumi & the feta on top. Sprinkle with oregano & season well.
5) Cut a short slit into each corner of the pastry, then tuck each side of the pastry over to form a border around the filling.
6) Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and pour the egg mixture over the spinach filling.
7) Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the filling is set.
8) Serve with lemon wedges.
Note: Depending on the haloumi you use, you may not need to add salt, as some haloumis can be extremely salty. Taste first then decide if you need extra salt.